The key objectives of the Framework Agreement on the Sava River Basin aim at transboundary cooperation for sustainable development of the region. The economic development is an imperative for all Sava countries and the International Sava River Basin Commission coordinates the activities on economic integration of the region in following priorities areas:
- Priority Area 1: Strengthening the Sava river basin planning to accelerate economic integration and investments,
- Priority Area 2: Improving the navigability of the Sava water way,
- Priority Area 3: Improving flood management and monitoring,
- Priority Area 4: Developing sustainable river tourism, and
- Priority Area 5: Protecting environment and adapting to climate change.